Wednesday 21 December 2011

Kempton Park news: The stars are out for Kauto on Boxing Day

‘The race of the century’ – says author Jilly Cooper

‘History in the making’ – says I’m A Celebrity’s Willie Carson

‘Kauto Star – horses and people are written off too early, and I should know!’ – says footballer Michael Owen

SPORTS stars and celebrities would adore seeing Kauto Star win a record-breaking fifth William Hill King George VI Chase at Kempton Park Racecourse on Boxing Day.

But their heads tell them that the odds favour Long Run to create history and win two King Georges and the Cheltenham Gold Cup in the same calendar year.

Michael Owen would love Kauto to regain his Boxing Day crown.

The Manchester United forward, who could yet be playing in his club’s Boxing Day match at Old Trafford after recovering from injury, said: “I championed Kauto Star's chances on my Twitter account on the morning of his epic Betfair Chase win last month.

“The media write off people and horses too early - I should know!!!

“My head says Long Run this time, but I would love to see Kauto make it five.”

Author Jilly Cooper can’t wait for Boxing Day – and wants Kauto to win in what she calls the “race of the century”.

She said: “I am heartbroken that I cannot be at Kempton on Boxing Day. It’s such a cosy racecourse at Christmas, but I shall be knee deep in grandchildren for the festive period.

“All my favourite horses are running; some of my lovely trainers have runners; and many of my friends will be going as it’s such a fantastic day out.

“I will be cheering on Kauto Star for the race of the century from the sofa and will be glued to Channel 4 Racing.”

Racing legend, winning jockey in 17 British Classic races, recent I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here contestant and present-day BBC racing pundit Willie Carson said: “I've been involved in and seen many huge races, but I'm fizzing with excitement over this year's King George.

“It has all the ingredients to be a sensational race - the current champion Long Run, the four times winner Kauto Star and others like Master Minded who could challenge the front two.

“This race, this year has the potential to be history in the making.  Kempton's going to be packed out for this one, that's for sure.”

Tottenham Hotspur defender Ledley King, a keen racing fan, is looking forward to Boxing Day too.
He said: “Footballers have always followed the horses.  A day’s racing is very relaxing and I have enjoyed going to Kempton Park when I owned a horse with Ashley Cole.

“Boxing Day is a great occasion and, although I’m usually involved in a game in the afternoon like many of my Premier League colleagues, this year Spurs aren't playing until the 27th so I’ll certainly enjoy watching the King George VI Chase and seeing if Long Run can win again or Kauto Star can regain his crown.” 

Tickets for Boxing Day and 27 December at Kempton Park Racecourse can be booked at kempton.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment